It takes Three

It takes Three

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University Changed our Lives!

After graduating college and commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army, I moved to Fort Rucker, Alabama for flight school in May 2012. My fiance at the time, Megan, moved back home to Wisconsin until we go married the following December. She had a job working at the local hospital, and I was living the Army life.

Upon graduation, we had a combined $90,000 in debt.  About $65,000 in school loans (my tuition was paid for, but I still had about $30,000 in loans for my personal flight training, the remainder of the school loans were for Megan's tuition and private/instrument flight ratings). The remainder of the loans was a "Career Starter" cash loan from USAA that I took out my senior year of college to pay for my brand new Jeep Patriot and our honeymoon.  We had a lot of debt and no real plan to pay it off, making the minimum payments as required.

In December 2012 we got married, and I brought her down to Fort Rucker with me.  At the time, I was making about $3,200 per month and had about $1,500 in loan payments. ALMOST HALF OF MY INCOME WAS GOING TOWARDS LOANS! We didn't have any type of budget, and had no idea where our money was going.

In February 2013, we started Financial Peace University, Dave Ramsey's Program to "living like no one else"  After the very first class, my wife and I sat down to create a budget that would get us on-path to being debt free.  We attended all of the classes and for the most part, follow what Mr. Ramsey says.  We did make a huge mistake in the winter of 2013, when we took out a loan on a car.

Throughout Financial Peace University we learned about the Baby Steps Listed Below:
1. Establish a $1,000 Emergency Fund.
2. Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
3. 3-6 month expenses saved in your emergency fun
4. Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement
5. Fund your children's college
6. Pay off your home.
7. Build wealth and give!


We are still on Baby Step 2 and at the time of this post, have about $45,000 left in debt to pay off. We are a lot further along in paying off debt that I would have expected at this time and we should be debt free by the end of 2018.  

Financial Peace University Changed our lives for the best! We are not as worried about our finances as we used to be and have an idea of how we are going to reach our goals!! If you're intersted in finding a Financial Peace University Class, click here to start your journey to being free.

No comments:

Post a Comment